1. We are born with arches, and our feet flatten as we grow older. True or false?
Although our feet can flatten as a result of fallen arches as we age, we do not actually have arches when we are born. Babies only develop these later in life, and adults lose them by not wearing the right footwear.
2. Men and women have the same number of bones in their feet. True or false?
While they may differ in many other respects, men and women both have the same number of bones in their feet.
3. Our feet are the same size. True or false?
Few people have feet that are exactly the same size. About 80% of the population varies slightly from foot to foot, but the difference is so minimal that we might never know.
4. Our feet are bigger at night. True or false?
After spending the whole day walking, running, or jumping around, our feet have swollen by as much as half a shoe size by the end of the day. This is why it is not recommended that you buy shoes early in the day, as they might turn out too small.
5. Heels under 4 inches are fine. True or false?
While a shoe might have to reach 4 inches before it qualifies as a high heel, doctors do not recommend wearing anything above 3 inches. The shift in your weight and gait puts more pressure on areas like your back and ankle, so stick to 3 or lower when you can.
6. There are 84 bones in the human foot. True or false?
There are 26 bones in each foot.
7. Women walk more than men on average. True or false?
On average, women walk 3 miles more than men a day
8. 80% of women wear shoes that are too small. True or false?
This may be false, but for all the wrong reasons. The number of women who wear shoes that are too small could be as high as 90%!
9. Our feet are 90% grown by age 12. True or false?
Our feet are roughly half their adult size by age 1, and almost completely grown by age 12. True or false?
10. Missing toenails can grow back. True or false?
Depending on why the nail fell off, you could expect to have a brand new one in 6 months to a year.
11. A quarter of all our bones are in the feet. True or false?
With 26 in each foot and 206 overall, about 25% of all or bones are located in our feet.